Ahoy, Commander! iToysoldiers is pleased to announce Release 5.1 (Tolstoy). This release of iToysoldiers reintroduces a better authoring experience for all of you chronicling the glory of your miniature armies with a WYSIWYG editor and the ability to add pictures inline with most content and comments. It’s also much easier to add captions and titles to images on mobile devices.
Also in this release:
- We’re now using AWS S3 for image storage. How does this affect you? Not really at all. It will, however, lower the cost of iToysoldiers which is good for everybody ’cause that means I’m forking over less money for this site. It also gives me the ability to introduce a more scalable site when the time comes.
- I fixed the layout of tournament pages so that they’re more in line with other event pages.
- The color theme on calendar pages has been fixed.
- I applied a bunch of security patches.
- Links to the messaging functionality are now hidden from folks who aren’t logged in.
- Fixed a math error on the modelling pages where the model count was left blank (calculations and their fields now default to 1 and suppresses any project that has a null or invalid value).
- A bunch of backend weirdness left over from previous releases have been fixed or removed.
So that’s 5.1. If you have any suggestions, problems, etc you know all you have to do is zip over to the iToysoldiers Help Portal and let me know, right?
Rob @ iToysoldiers
Well… Not yet. So one of the things that’s been killin’ me is the inability to add photos easily – especially on mobile devices. I swear it’s like some of these module developers have never heard the word responsive. They also love to hard code things in the most bizarre spots. But I’m rapidly descending into a rant so I’ll go back to taking about what’s next for iToysoldiers and that is WYSIWYG and some improvements in the “authoring experience” and how images are handled.
Right now it’s nigh impossible to upload a photo from your phone onto iToysoldiers. The window doesn’t scroll, you can’t zoom it in or out and it has a gutter on the top and left sides that prevents you from getting to the submit or close button. That’s a huge problem and it’s been preventing me from posting stuff. And if it’s preventing me from doing it I’m sure that it’s even more frustrating for other folks. I’m pretty close to having this fixed.
The next thing that’s kind of a drag is the lack of a handy editor on text fields (in which you can put images inline). No body wants to remember all the various html codes in order to make the text of their post bold or what have you. I don’t even like doing that. So the next release of iToysoldiers will include a major authoring experience improvement: a Wysiwyg editor built into each and every text form. Yay.
I’m going to be offering up two flavors: Basic (the default) and Advanced. The difference? Basic only has a couple of buttons – the most useful. Advanced will open up all the formatting options to you. Things like lists, headings, and the like. I think mostly Basic will cover everything you might want but… The option will be there.
So that’s what’s going on right now. iTS Release 5.1: Tolstoy is coming soon.
Ahoy! Well, since I’m trying to be a bit more organized I figured I’d also let you guys see into what’s on the roadmap for the rest of the year. Important: If there’s something you’d like to see on the list feel free to visit the iToysoldiers Support Portal and get it in there.
- Return WYSIWIG functionality to the site.
- Introduce site wide player rankings.
- Fix any bugs brought in with 5.0
- Revamp the Narrative Campaign Manager
- Reintroduce Faction based stats
- Improve some of the Event Management features.