Well… Not yet. So one of the things that’s been killin’ me is the inability to add photos easily – especially on mobile devices. I swear it’s like some of these module developers have never heard the word responsive. They also love to hard code things in the most bizarre spots. But I’m rapidly descending into a rant so I’ll go back to taking about what’s next for iToysoldiers and that is WYSIWYG and some improvements in the “authoring experience” and how images are handled.
Right now it’s nigh impossible to upload a photo from your phone onto iToysoldiers. The window doesn’t scroll, you can’t zoom it in or out and it has a gutter on the top and left sides that prevents you from getting to the submit or close button. That’s a huge problem and it’s been preventing me from posting stuff. And if it’s preventing me from doing it I’m sure that it’s even more frustrating for other folks. I’m pretty close to having this fixed.
The next thing that’s kind of a drag is the lack of a handy editor on text fields (in which you can put images inline). No body wants to remember all the various html codes in order to make the text of their post bold or what have you. I don’t even like doing that. So the next release of iToysoldiers will include a major authoring experience improvement: a Wysiwyg editor built into each and every text form. Yay.
I’m going to be offering up two flavors: Basic (the default) and Advanced. The difference? Basic only has a couple of buttons – the most useful. Advanced will open up all the formatting options to you. Things like lists, headings, and the like. I think mostly Basic will cover everything you might want but… The option will be there.
So that’s what’s going on right now. iTS Release 5.1: Tolstoy is coming soon.
So I just wanted to let you know about what’s currently being worked on for iToysoldiers right now. I have a release scheduled for next week that’ll include the following:
- I’m redesigning the look and feel of the Achievement pages. They’ll be cleaner and it’ll be much easier to see who’s earned a given achievement.
- I’m fixing the “bulk award” achievement rule so that it doesn’t generate quite so much email. This is a little thing ’cause it’s not often that I introduce a whole bunch of achievements.
- I’m going through and fixing some of the older achievements to use better code.
- In an effort to make navigation a bit easier I’m totally revamping the left nav menu. Rather than being clever with titles like, “Order of Battle” I’m going to be using the categories of Gaming, Narrative, and Modelling for the major features. Theater will still be events. Think, “Where, when, and who to play” and Gazetteer will be collapsed into Community.
- General bug fixes that probably won’t really be noticed.
Bug Hunt 2017
Oh, and don’t forget that Bug Hunt 2017 is running right now. If you have any bugs, feature requests, or comments, do not hesitate to zip over to the iToysoldiers Help Portal and submit them. You’ll be entered for a chance to win $25 at your favorite game store.
Rob @ iToysoldiers
So I stumbled across the coolest thing ever! Okay. Maybe not the coolest thing ever but it’s pretty slick and I have to say it’s going to make some of the UI issues you’ve been experiencing go away.
It’s the Chosen jQuery library (which you can find here: https://harvesthq.github.io/chosen/). Essentially it does magic things to select boxes on forms and makes ’em WAY easier to deal with.
I’m currently playing around with it on the good ol’ dev server and I have to say, I’m pleased with the results. It even works pretty well on a mobile device. Now… I guess that is to say that it doesn’t modify the interface that iOS throws on top of select fields and that’s actually brilliant.
Oh, I think you’re going to like the results, my friends.